Old 04-24-2021, 02:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
heartbroken123

Originally Posted by blue26 View Post
Your story sounds very similar to mine in a couple ways. When you said he asked you to hold the marijuana for him but ended up coming back the next day with a second stash, that's definitely a red flag. My boyfriend of 2 years (now currently ex boyfriend), would ask me to hold his Xanax for him, trying to lower his intake, but he'd ask to keep a couple before I took them from him, and the next day he'd say, "I'm not asking for them back, I'm telling you to give them back to me." I've learned addicts are very good at using manipulation tactics to get what they want, even if they don't know they are doing it. And in turn that hurts us and breaks our trust with them once we learn it was manipulation. At first, it might've seemed like a good plan to have you in control of the marijuana and only give it to him when he'd ask you for it, but no one should ever put the person they love in that position (of giving them what's practically their poison, and then having you feel guilty for it.) I think you are absolutely doing the right thing by staying away from him for right now, and as long as you want and need to. I completely agree with what edoering said, that "the only things we can truly treat as truth are red flags. Everything else only time will tell." I completely understand missing him, and how much you love him, and you're worried you made the wrong decision ... but if your decision feels right for you at the moment, then it is. The overconfident phase is a very real thing that happens to addicts. Suddenly, they're struck with reality and end up going right back to their old habits, or even new ones. Only time will tell the truth about things ... I would hate for you to constantly feel trapped in that whirlwind of emotions and being brought down to his level when you could be working on that great business plan of yours and looking ahead to the future you've envisioned for yourself.
Hey blue, I am sorry you are going through this as well. I agree, when he told me to keep his weed, all the bells rang in my head. It was a major red flag for me too. Like you said, noone should put their loved one in that position, giving them a feign idea of control and then making them feel guilty for that control. I never agreed to that, it felt wrong.
Unfortunately my decision doesn't feel right. Yesterday I cried myself to sleep, wishing it was all a dream, that I could go back to him and maybe handle the situation differently. I really truly feel like he was the love of my life and that I will regret my decision till I die. I don't know if I can deal with this. But at the same time, I know that the logical thing to do is stay away from him and not get further involved. I resent him for leaving me with nothing while he is out there building himself new. I am stuck in the past and the future with him and I don't even have the motivation to put my life in order. My dreams are shattered and I don't have the energy to make new ones.