Old 04-24-2021, 01:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
heartbroken123

Originally Posted by HardLessons View Post
I totally understand that even after reading on here various opinions & possibly even totally agreeing with those opinions, one can still be confused & struggle to cope with the situation. I get it. If this was all easy to do - we would all be fine & there would be no need for this forum. There would not be thousands of individual stories posted here. Unfortunately this is not an easy situation.

I did the same with my addict as you are doing now. I tried to rationalize her crazy addict behavior telling myself its not all that bad is it. I was clearly in denial. It took a lot of time for me to understand & break free from my own denial.

You wrote above "But I could see no efforts of him stopping. He just threw away the weed every time we fought and then the next day bought another stash. It was a compulsion! (If he hadn't met me though, I believe that he would continue using till the end of his days. He didn't feel that his use was problematic, he found nothing inherently bad about it, he said that everyone did it.)"

So if he hadnt met you he would still be using till the end of his days. Our addicts dont stop because of us. They arent using drugs either because of us. They are using drugs because they have various unresolved mental issues which have nothing to do with us. Because of that they arent going to stop because of us. They might slow down and / or promise the world but in the end they are addicts & are thereby driven to use various drugs.
For us non-addicts its hard to understand this extreme need to get & stay high.

You also wrote: He didn't feel that his use was problematic, he found nothing inherently bad about it, he said that everyone did it. These are typical addict statements.

He doesnt have a problem. He doesnt think any of this is a problem. There is nothing inherently bad about it. Everyone does it. - Everyone does it I dont do you? You are the one with the problem not him. Same as me - she didnt have a problem I had the problem. Our addicts dont recover or stop abusing drugs until they fully recognize they have a major problem going on & actively choose to get structured professional help.
Yes, I don't think he recognises the extent of his actions. The fact that every friend of his did it, even occasionally, was normal to him. He had surrounded himself with a carefully picked social circle that all enabled each other. Now that I come to think of it, they weren't even his school mates or colleagues, they weren't in his immediate circle to begin with. All of them did it. Don't get me wrong, they were good people, supportive friends for both of us, smart and very fun to be with. I had no problem with them smoking weed, I know it is a way for many people to bond with each other and I have no problem with occasional use, even though I never partook. But their use seemed limited to once a week when they got together. His use however, was daily.

You are right, they are all driven towards substances and addiction. If it isn't weed, it will probably be something else. Cocaine use would be more frequent if it wasn't that expensive. And years down the line, it could be alcohol like his father which is more familiar, even though he said he couldn't stomach a lot of it. The body can be trained to tolerate more alcohol over time.

I think we are addicts in our own way. We love the way they make us feel, special and loved. But it all comes with a heavy price doesn't it? We are in as much denial as they are. I read all similar stories to mine and think for the loved ones "Get away from your addict, you are so young, you don't deserve a life like this, he is not changing", seeing everything clearly and yet when I think of my situation, I put on rose-tinted glasses.

He tried many times in the previous year to slowly cut down his use, because I told him it was affecting our life together, but every time he failed. He would somehow increase his use back to where it was before. He was unable to do it, because he didn't see the point of it. Now that his world is upside down, he finally came to realise his use was problematic and decided to stop, throwing away everything. Like I said, I think he will stick to it, because of his sacred oath to his dead father (stuff like this is very important to him, he takes all that seriously), but I am afraid that like you said, an addict is always an addict. Healthy coping mechanisms are not in place and I doubt he will starting changing them now, because he isn't following any structured recovery plan. He is just clean. Right now his coping mechanism is exercise which is good and healthy and I hope he keeps at it, but my gut tells me he is always after instant gratification and will always be drawn to it. That's not my jam. And that's why I believe he would probably never stop if it wasn't for me.

Originally Posted by HardLessons View Post
If you go back with him the only way it will work is for you to totally accept that he is an addict & he will use drugs. Other wise you are most likely in for a very rough ride. Add in to your thoughts marriage, children, house, cars loans for business, & all other typical financial responsibilities, etc etc things can become extremely complicated. Having a problem with his drug use given all of that in place will be way more mind blowing than the relatively clean & simple situation you are dealing with now.

As I said before this is your life. You have to do what you have to do. Make informed / intelligent choices.
Yes, the way you put it (and the way it is, really), I will never accept he is an addict. I simply can't. My family raised me to never let the wolf of addiction inside the house and I agree with this value. Plus I will never forget that I quit everything when we made the decision to go to his hometown and now I am left with nothing. No friends, no routine, no job, no nothing. Living in my old teen bedroom, with my parents picking up the pieces. While he is building back his life in his comfort zone, with his friends and family to support him, his job with his brother to keep him busy. He is handling everything like a charm and I resent him for it. I never felt relief when we broke up, because like you said our situation was nice and clean, there were no serious consequences yet. Now I feel 10 times worse compared to when we were together. Sometimes I wish he wasn't that good of a partner apart from his addiction, so that it would be easier for me to let go.