View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 12:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
trailmix

Hi rosemary. I hope you will read around the forum and of course, keep posting. Sometimes we need to hear the other side as well as the one we hope for?

One such thread you are asking about is here: https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...my-update.html (Sharing my update) "RAH" refers to Recovering Alcoholic Husband by the way.

You may want to look back on the whole story. You can do this by clicking on the member's name in the thread (above their picture) then clicking on Public Profile then the Statistics tab. You can select View all threads by that person. Recovering alcoholic threads are few and far between in this forum. It does happen, usually after years of conflict. I can't remember one that made it through infidelity (if that is how you view it) as well as alcoholism though (but there could be and I just don't remember it).

felt that it was me that had a problem with alcohol and that he, as a functioning alcoholic, was fine as long as he held down a job and wasn't drunk for more than a day at a time.
This is actually true, he doesn't have a problem with his drinking, generally and you do. That doesn't make either of you right or wrong, it just is. Might be wrong for your family life, might be wrong for you and your child to be around, might be self destructive to him, but that's his choice.

Are you being hasty? Well, really it's all about what you want. He may quit drinking next week, he may never quit. Not every alcoholic looks for recovery. How much time are you willing to invest in him deciding to get sober? If say, in a year he decides he will give it a try, how much time will you wait to see if he is serious this time.

Alcoholism is progressive as well. He may be a functioning alcoholic today, but that's just a stage of alcoholism.

I don't mean to sound negative, some people do enter recovery.