View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 12:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

rosemary......as has already been said...there aren't many if any of the kind of stories that you are looking for. on this particular forum. When new members arrive here, they are usually at a point of crisis in their relationship, and feel somewhat how you have described. Most situations have spiraled fairly far in the disease.

If you are asking if anyone ever got into genuine recovery and had a relationship that :"survived"....my answer would be yes, but you probably won't find them here. Across the world, there are millions of such stories...in the rooms of AA. There are also, at the same time, millions and millions, worldwide, that do not ever recover----for a myriad of reasons that are longer than this sheet of paper...lol.
Personally, I know several of each type---those that did reach recovery and those that never did.

If you would like to hear some real life stories....I suggest that you attend some Open AA meetings. The Open meetings are those that are open to guests (who can just observe) and some of the have Speakers Meetings. You can find these speakers meetings listed on any schedule of AA meetings. These speakers will tell the story of their journey to entering into recovery.
Mind you, an alcoholic is never "cured" but are living in recovery, by the principles of AA for one day at a time. It is a life long process.

Honestly, when your husband stopped AA because of inappropriate sharing---that sounds, to me like a convenient excuse. There are so many different AA meetings that are available, that would not be the same as others...both in person and on line.

We have an extensive library of over one hundred excellent articles about alcoholism and the effects on the loved ones in our stickies section...and on the forum called "The Best of Soberrecovery".
For your convenience, I am giving you the following link to one of those articles that I think is a pretty good yardstick. You might find it useful, just now.

10 Ways to Tell When an Addict or Alcoholic is Full of Crap - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (10 Ways to Tell When an Addict or Alcoholic is Full of Crap)