View Single Post
Old 04-28-2003, 02:19 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
PhilN
Paused

Kimmie

Your post brings back memories of me telling my folks I was a drunk. I was fearful of their judgment and felt ashamed. Like you, I told my Mom first. I was always closer to her and she tended to be more in touch with her emotions. She helped me prepare for Dad.

When I finally talked to Dad about it, his reaction was not what I expected. He wasn't angry or judgmental. Of course he thought that I never really had a problem, but tried to understand anyway.

Congratulations on four days. Doesn't seem like much, but it sounds like four days longer than you've been able to string together in the past, so that is an accomplishment.

Reaching out to other alcoholics can be great support. As selfish we sound sometimes, we love helping others, if only because we stop thinking about our own problems for a minute. And I have to admit, it warms my heart to "watch" a person's sobriety develop through this forum.

Prayer helps too. You don't need to feel guilty about your past. God will forgive you if you ask Him. He knows what we've done and He loves us anyway.

Good luck to you and God bless.