View Single Post
Old 03-21-2021, 10:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGameNYC
EndGame

Originally Posted by shortstop81 View Post
I’ve been diagnosed with major depression and generalized anxiety.

. . .

I’m lined up to see a social worker next month for therapy. I’m trying my best to sort myself out.

. . .

I just feel so isolated and alone. I just need someone.
It's great that you're able to reach out for help.

No one knows what depression is like until they get there. I sometimes thought of it as being buried alive and not caring about it. Until the many times I caught myself weeping.

I was in psychotherapy for about a year before I started taking meds. I was making no progress, and my world was getting smaller. The combination has worked well for me.

I was sober for twenty-one years back then. My father was dying at the time. I suffered another traumatic loss at around the same time. There were a few very good people who helped me through my personal nightmare. I was very fortunate.

I drank again for three years starting in 2008. I haven't had an episode of major depression for about ten years. I needed to do some things differently. I made some important changes in my life.

I took a look at my long-held beliefs and perceptions. I expanded my education and experience within my field of work so that I could work at something that challenged me. (Be careful what you wish for. )

The best part about working through the worst parts is that the effort brings you to a better place.