View Single Post
Old 03-14-2021, 05:40 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Obladi
Life Goes On

Hey, Five.

It's good to hear that you're back to a week. Feel better, or not?

It sounds like maybe the 1% is ambivalence? I spent a very long time there. Long, long time. I wanted to want to stop drinking, but I just could not find a way over that last hurdle. How could I develop the "want?" Isn't that something that comes from within? For me, it seemed to be so. Unfortunately, I don't have a formula for that.

Or maybe for you, it's all about how to socialize without a buzz? Maybe the prospect of doing that is a complete yawner for you.

I don't know; this is all speculation on my part. Only you can know what it is that's holding you back (or not allowing you to take the leap) to complete sobriety. If this is something you want, then maybe look a little further into why a drink appears in your hand each time you're in a social setting. Or (and?) give more thought to what your motivation is to stop drinking. Maybe you've posted about that already and I missed it. I'm not asking you to recap for my sake, but I am saying "for health reasons" is a pretty weak motivation, for me.

O

p.s. Your outline of the rules you are employing to not drink in certain situations is highly reminiscent of one of my favorite passages from the Alcoholics Anonymous book. If you're interested, I'll be happy to share. But I don't want to "thump" on your thread uninvited (at least not at this time ).