View Single Post
Old 02-20-2021, 03:56 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Hodd

I remember when I first changed my lifestyle drastically for the better. My diet had always been OK, but I started exercising - at that stage gym at treadmill - and “cut down” drinking. When I say cut down, I was still drinking about three quarters of a bottle a wine a night. A lot of people say that’s not much, but it’s about 400% over the healthy limit. I was also never satisfied at this quantity, and that’s always a dangerous sign as the amount was only ever likely to increase.

Anyway, it was surprising/unpleasant how the wine in my system reacted the next day when I exercised. I was only doing short distances on a treadmill and getting nasty acid reflux. One time I had a hard gym session - I was getting quite fit by this stage - and went out for dinner that night and had at least the equivalent of a body of wine. The next morning I felt groggy and had chest pains. You don’t mess about with chest pains so I went to A&E. All was fine. It was obviously a hangover and reflux.

So even drinking small amount makes it ten times harder to do any exercise the next morning. I’ve had no acid reflux since I quit drinking. I even do yoga now, and whilst I can feel a bit nauseous being inverted, I think I’d be throwing up with any remnants of yesterday’s wine inside me!