Notices

Getting "high" from exercise

Old 02-17-2021, 03:05 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I am looking forward to Park Run starting again. I know that I'm good for a PB when it does.

I recommend MapRun to anyone who wants to do a bit of virtual orienteering. It's excellent and somehow the Aussie developer is keeping it free. He has done a great job on it.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:06 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
I do have a set of those TRX straps which can hook to a wall and that’s a whole gym right there. The issue (excuse) is I have to use this outside as my place is just too old - I’d be pulling walls down! It’s been a bit cold lately, but it’s warming up. No excuses!
my trx is gathering dust somewhere, I really didn’t get on with it.. since lockdown back in March I got a 12m battle rope and a trampoline (for clarification I don’t use them at the same time&#128514. I am also using the cold weather excuse, this thread has inspired me to get back out there and lose the Xmas pounds.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:32 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I was a runner for 20 years, then damage to my knees, so I sadly turned to cycling for my cardio workouts. I say that because I *loved* running, especially on the trails around my northern Calif home. To me there was almost nothing better than trail running for 6-10 miles - it was a primal feeling to run through the woods.. I am sure I was addicted to the high. While not the same, I still get a pretty good burn out of mountain biking, but mostly road bike these days because it is convenient to just ride from my house. I bike 2-3 x a week (5-6 hours) at a strenuous pace (HR 80%) and do some light weights and walking on the alternate days.

I also enjoy yoga, but haven't been to a session since Covid started, and I suck at doing things like that at home. I started out with Bikram hot yoga a couple decades ago and loved it, but took a long break due to work and when I went back I couldn't handle the heat anymore - my HR was through the roof. Still, even normal Iyengar yoga is a wonderful way to stretch the smaller muscle groups and improve one's balance. Plus there is a feeling of contentment afterward, but it's certainly not the same (to me) as a runners high. In my opinion, my heavy cardio workouts over almost 40 years saved me from a much worse alcohol fate, and is still critical to my well-being.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:46 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Lycra wearing bike rider here, love it! May not look purdy bit it is functional! Im addicted.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:54 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I treated myself to a Peloton for Christmas and I am totally addicted. I love it and my fitness is coming back fast after a period of being complacent and sedentary. I feel great!
Old 02-18-2021, 10:04 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Yes, Park Runs!

I’m supposedly a triathlete, a slow one, and I know Park Runs aren’t supposed to be competitive, but they do let you have your own battles. There are often pacesetters too who you can (try and) keep up with. I’ve found running on my own to get slower and slower. Park Runs are a great idea and are for the fittest types right through to beginners who walk round. Everyone gets cheered on. Missed it
Old 02-19-2021, 07:38 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Samantha

I dont get the high that some people get....wish I did because I don't really like exercise, I just know I have to do it.
I do bootcamp/HIIT 5x week and walking every day and running 3-4 times a week, when it's not -40 lol.
we cannot yet go to gyms here so I am doing my workouts at home and cardio outside.
much prefer a gym.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:21 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
EndGame

They used to call it a "runner's high."

Repetitive movements trigger the release of endorphins, chemicals that relieve pain and stress, like opioids.

Without them, even just raising your hand would produce intense pain. It would be impossible to eat or breathe.

Endorphins are also implicated in symptoms associated with OCD: repetitive hand-washing, checking and rechecking things like whether the doors are locked, rechecking the parking meter, for example. Each movement increases available endorphins.

But even if you don't get high, the walk might do you good.

Old 02-20-2021, 03:56 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I remember when I first changed my lifestyle drastically for the better. My diet had always been OK, but I started exercising - at that stage gym at treadmill - and “cut down” drinking. When I say cut down, I was still drinking about three quarters of a bottle a wine a night. A lot of people say that’s not much, but it’s about 400% over the healthy limit. I was also never satisfied at this quantity, and that’s always a dangerous sign as the amount was only ever likely to increase.

Anyway, it was surprising/unpleasant how the wine in my system reacted the next day when I exercised. I was only doing short distances on a treadmill and getting nasty acid reflux. One time I had a hard gym session - I was getting quite fit by this stage - and went out for dinner that night and had at least the equivalent of a body of wine. The next morning I felt groggy and had chest pains. You don’t mess about with chest pains so I went to A&E. All was fine. It was obviously a hangover and reflux.

So even drinking small amount makes it ten times harder to do any exercise the next morning. I’ve had no acid reflux since I quit drinking. I even do yoga now, and whilst I can feel a bit nauseous being inverted, I think I’d be throwing up with any remnants of yesterday’s wine inside me!