View Single Post
Old 02-19-2021, 07:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
sevenofnine

Originally Posted by ItsNotYou2 View Post
Yes, I have a ton of experience in this. In most states, the issues of custody, visitation, and child support are each a separate issue. In our case, I continued to court each time my child's co-genetic contributor wanted a review of the ordered support he didn't pay. In each hearing, he was unable to prove that he could not sustain a reasonable income in his field and was ordered increases. Every.single.time.

That didn't stop him. He dragged me into court no less than 3 times a year for years. All the while, he never exercised his rights of visitation and only proved to be a hindrance to conservatorship of basics like medical care.

By the time the child was 18, I had gained full conservatorship and $60k in arrears owed in child support. If it's ever paid, that amount will go nicely toward higher education or a home down payment for the child.

I knew the co-genetic contributor would probably have signed off his "rights" gladly if he had the option. I never could do that to my child. My child has the rights to financial gain if ever paid and to the knowledge that I advocated for them all those years. If the co-genetic contributor passes away or if a windfall of inheritance ever came his way, or if he files for SSI, my child has rights to that as well.
Very much this. I understand from my lawyer that the deadbeat could sign away parental rights, but (I do not live in US, mind) a child cannot have their rights to that financial support severed. Even if parents sign agreements not to pay, it can be overturned at any point and the child can apply for that support. Cause they exist and need to be supported.
I hope the above poster's child gets that 60k; that generational wealth is their birthright!
good luck!