View Single Post
Old 02-15-2021, 09:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
nez

Originally Posted by HollyIvy View Post
Everyday for so long I have tried not to have a drink but I just can't do it.
Man do I know the feeling! One day at a time was way beyond my grasp. 24 hours...that was just too long. If I could have not drank for a day, I probably never would have reached out for help, but I couldn't. So I reached out to other alcoholics, who were able to not drink, for help.

With their support and by following their suggestions, I mustered together a plan for me.

I couldn't do 24 hours, too unfathomable, but I could manage 15 minutes. Yes, my journey started with 15 minute increments.

When alcohol would be screaming my name, I would tell myself I could wait 15 minutes. Surely I told myself, even the weakest person on earth could wait 15 minutes. I didn't fully believe it, but I HAD TO TRY, I was desperate. If after 15 minutes, I still wanted that drink, it would be there.

I would then go out for a walk to hopefully give my mind something else to focus on. Or I would call another alcoholic who was in recovery. Or I would read recovery material. The main thing was to give my mind something else to think about and to put 15 minutes between myself and that drink. Many times it would take a second 15 minute increment. Sometimes a third. But I didn't care because at that point I was willing to do anything to not drink.

Yes my journey started with 15 minutes increments, but those increments have built upon themselves to where I now have 17 years without a drink. It is doable. I never thought it was possible for this alcoholic, but I am proving myself wrong. Not drinking is now second nature to me. Sobriety is my natural state and the one I am meant to be in.

You can do and achieve this too! I believe in you.