View Single Post
Old 01-31-2021, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hawkeye13

Acute cravings typically come in “bursts” of about 20-30 minutes. Have a list of distractions planned and follow without deviation each one, and by the time you get partway down your list, the craving usually has peaked and passed. Each time you do that successfully, your “sober muscles” get stronger, and fairly soon, cravings get further apart and less strong. What I do:

I will make a cup of coffee or tea and drink it slowly, and if still craving eat something I really like. Ice cream is a favorite for many, but oatmeal with butter and maple syrup has been my “go to” lately. Next, I take a walk and listen to an audible book if I still want to drink. Sometimes, I journal if a lot of emotion is coming up—that grief at losing our escape hatch is real and we have to create other healthy tools.

A hot shower and crawling into bed for a nap or an early night got me through many after work “witching hours”, or when I am just too tempted / tired to deal. Be kind to yourself above all. What you are doing is hard!

It works, and before you know it, sober is more the rule than exception. You can do this— make your own list and promise yourself to go through each step fully, and your craving should be gone or easily manageable.