Old 01-30-2021, 12:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Hi and welcome Higher Drunk

I can only share my experience. I drank hard for 20 years, ending up an all day everyday drunk.
I suffered several mini strokes trying to quit cold turkey.

Even with all of that I got back to ‘normal’ - not immediately, but eventually, so I hope that gives you some hope

I felt better at about 3 months. Not being a 20 year drinker I would expect you’ll feel better sooner than that

The other thing is I was full of anxiety. I felt for sure I was going to die or stroke out again. I could not believe that I could walk away from the amount I’d drunk relatively unscathed. It took me a while to accept that I would be OK.

I felt sure that the woolly headed forgetfulness, scrambling for words or concepts I knew I knew would be permanent but in reality it got better week by week.

I think you have every reason to trust in your doctors diagnosis - I hope the test results will support that and help ease some of your worry.

Drinking that much in a short space of time is dangerous tho, even what you’d usually drink over the last 3 years is hazardous.

It sounds to me like you’d be massively better off not drinking at all, like I am and others here are.

I wish you the best and I trust you’ll bounce back from this

D