View Single Post
Old 01-29-2021, 11:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
novips

The Big Book says: "Continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment, and fear. When these crop up, we ask God at once to remove them. We discuss them with someone immediately and make amends quickly if we have harmed anyone. Then we resolutely turn our thoughts to someone we can help."

I treat the temptation to beat myself up over things that I perceive to have gone badly as a form of resentment. Thus, I try to get on my knees and ask God to remove my disturbance as soon as I become aware of it.

I treat the "discuss with someone" instruction as a type of 5th Step. Thus, I run my "resentment" through the four columns as if I was writing a 4th Step. This often helps me get clarity on the issue and makes my subsequent discussion with my sponsor that much more effective.

Finally, sometimes I treat the "turn our thoughts" instruction as simply an instruction to pray for the perceived source of my disturbance. Perhaps in your situation that would take the form of a prayer for the unruly students.

Obviously, if it is revealed to me in the process of practicing this 10th Step that I owe an amend -- then I do my best to make it.

Anyway, that's just what popped into my head when I read your post. As they say, take what you can use; leave the rest.

Thanks for sharing. I hope you're feeling better.