View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 12:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Abandoned80

I had something pretty similar happen to me. We went from him wanting to buy a house together, etc. to him breaking up with me in a matter of just a few months, and it’s because he was drinking again (or drinking more, who even really knows). He gave me a similar, kind of condescending talk and let me know all the ways I was deficient, but he was sure I’d be ok, since I was a “strong person.” Of course, no mention of his drinking and the part it had played in the deterioration of our relationship over time. In my case he truly cut all ties and I never heard from him again, and I haven’t reached out. Like has been mentioned, I think whether you hear from them again has something to do with how much they think they can drink with you in the picture. But to be honest, it doesn’t do any good to analyze it, because often they are not using the same logic we would apply. The fact that he blamed you for his drinking and is trying to say he is attempting controlled drinking is a dead giveaway that he’s not in a “recovery” state of mind and is very much in active addiction.

My advice would be to really use this time to decide if this is someone you want regardless of the alcoholism - someone who could just walk away from you. In the meantime, please don’t wait around for him to call the shots, take care of yourself and live your life. It will hurt a lot for a while, no doubt, but over time it slowly does get better. I’m sorry this happened to you too