Thread: Day 4
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2020, 07:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Aellyce

Hi Raeven,

Congrats on four days! For many people, early recovery is more challenging if they get sober while dealing with a lot of other changes as well. I am personally finding the opposite, that constructive life changes alongside early recovery helps me stay sober and feel good about it, although I think it's better not to change everything at once. I guess it really depends whether the changes are things we chose freely or stuff circumstances imposed. Did you choose those condition changes yourself and are now second-guessing yourself, or went along with things for some other purpose?

I often find acceptance challenging as well, when it means a compromise I am not entirely satisfied with. I believe it's probably tricky for most of us who struggled with addiction, because we often had a lot of denial and became so used to instant gratification, even if it wasn't truly satisfying. The reality though is that many things in life need to be compromises, and also that often we need to wait for something to become fruitful and fulfilling.

I also find that getting outside for at least an hour each day helps a lot, but even that has to be a compromise as on some days the weather is just too unpleasant for it. Oh well. I try to work out at home, which I still need to find real motivation for and rarely enjoy during, but usually feel better when it's done. I think it's important to find new, enjoyable activities in sobriety - have you thought about some for yourself in this condition?