View Single Post
Old 12-25-2020, 11:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BellaBlue

Another Christmas Tainted by the Addict

Merry Christmas to all who are suffering due to another's addiction. I wish ya'll posted more here.

I want to write today because once again, the addict's behavior has overshadowed a joyous time. After my son's 20+ years of alcoholism, numerous detoxes, several stays at rehab, including a half-way house, I have made the decision to block him from my life for now. His disastrous decisions recently have just been too much for me. The block has caused intense sadness, but I still feel a bit of relief knowing I don't have to hear his latest tale of woe. I have always countered his "people don't change" line with "they can if they really want to." I wonder ... maybe he can't - his mental state may really be deteriorating. But I've never seen him really work a program at all. He is essentially homeless, having burned almost all his bridges now. One friend is offering him help but it is very conditional - the ball truly is in his court to get sober and remain so and get a job or he is on the streets. I will never allow him here. Feels so cold and heartless as a mom, yet I know it is our reality and is necessary for all concerned.