View Single Post
Old 11-29-2020, 07:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by Vincent484 View Post
Hi everyone,

Does anyone else struggle with how irrational this disease is? That's been a big hurdle for me. I can't wrap my head around the fact that I can't just have "a few" and stop because it makes no sense.
Alcoholism involves a lot of irrational behavior. Addictions do that. I didn't struggle with that once in recovery, but I already knew how easy it is to fall prey to irrational thoughts. Irrational thinking is the evolutionary baggage that comes with our species' more advanced brains. It's actually part of our default state. We gravitate to irrationality, because we fall for tempting logical fallacies. I think you're in a good place right now coming to grips with your irrational addiction. By recognizing that you can't have a few, you can now apply knowledge that doesn't come up your irrational subconscious. All the experts and all the books, except from a few rare charlatans, tells you you can't drink, not even "just a few." Listen to this outside knowledge rather than the gobbledygook that come from inside your less informed alcoholic voice.

Best of luck. It's an adventure.