View Single Post
Old 11-14-2020, 08:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

DMc----I have had some experience with this, so I am going to give you some advice that I learned the hard way.
He is still relatively young, so I think it is important to do the right things from the beginning---and those may be the hardest things---not, necessarily what he wants.

1. Get professional help for you and his father--if his father is in the picture. I suggest that you try to find a person who is also a long recovering alcoholic---like more than 5yrs. (at minimum). This could be a certified alcoholism counselor that is in long time recovery. And, there are psychologists and social workers who are long recovering alcoholics. You might call your local AA organization and ask whoever answers the phone if they can recommend some professionals that they may be familiar with. This is because long recovering alcoholics recognize all of the bs and the pitfalls.
Did you know that you can go as an observer to what are called "Open AA meetings" ? Those are the speaker meetings. I think you would learn a lot. (you can go without him).

2. Depression often goes along with alcoholism---and he will need to be followed by a psychiatrist and therapist in addition to a program of abstainence---like AA.

3. I highly suggest that you do not allow him to live in your home after rehab---under the idea of helping him to get on his feet. This is frequently tried and is almost guranteed to be a disaster---with you getting the short end of the stick, I learned this from a psychologist who was, himself, a long recovering alcoholic, He worked in the foster care system---and, he said that he had never, ever, seen a child get sober under the parent's roof. I have been observing since that time---and, I have found that to be true in every case that I have seen.
I suggest that you let his counselors at the rehab know that you don't plan for him to be released to your home---and, suggest that he go to some interim living situation---like a sober living house or some assisted living situation---like the Salvation Army (for example).
I am guessing that your insurance is probably paying for his rehab?

Young adults can be very manipulative and know how to push the parent's buttons---especially the guilt button---lol
This is why I think you are going to need as much professional help and advice from recovering alcoholics.
I cannot recommend this strongly enough. strong effort now can save you and your family tons of anguish later---due to well intentioned "mistakes".

I am going to give you the following link to an article that I think will be useful for you right now. I think it is a pretty good yardstick.
It is taken from our extensive library of articles---more than 100---that are contained in the "Classic Reading" section of the stickies (just above the regular threads).

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...full-crap.html (10 Ways to Tell When an Addict or Alcoholic is Full of Crap)