Thread: Sober Dating ?
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2020, 07:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
BornSurvivor

Originally Posted by Jabari View Post
I have been sober for 6 months. I decided to get sober after leaving a relationship of 12 years. During those years we did and celebrated everything with alcohol. I have not dated anyone for the 6 months I’ve been sober. Now I think that I’m almost ready to start dating again. However, I’m scared to death of drinking again and don’t want to turn someone away due to them having a drink every now and then even though I can’t. Should I just look to date sober people or tell the people who have an occasional drink to please don’t drink around me.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't think you not drinking is going to turn many people away from you. Almost every drinker I have dated has not cared. Most even like it because then they have a designated driver.

However, you have to take into consideration the other factor which is are you ready to date a drinker? Are you okay with being around them when they are drinking and will probably inevitably ask you to have 'just one?' If the answer to that is no or even you even think it maybe no then I wouldn't risk it and I'd give it some more time until I felt more confident in my ability to stay sober around others who are drinking.