Old 10-25-2020, 08:23 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Donnylutz

"I take the meat that serves me, but I don't choke on a bone."

That got me so far and helped me so much. I've found what works for me, and that's all we can do. Even with over a year under my belt, I still get very uncomfortable when people lay down "the only way to get sober" or "the only way to stay sober". I work my program, a program of what I need. My approach isn't going to work for everyone. I still attend online AA meetings a few times a week - but I just take what works for me, and I share that while we all have the same disease, what led us to it, and what will keep us sober can look very different.

I didn't work the steps. Some would consider me a dry drunk. I've been sober over a year and I'm happy, healthy, and excited about my life. Many with AUD have gotten sober without AA. And, I'm rambling lol.

My point is that while the big book says otherwise, numerous ways to get and to stay sober exist. I like AA because it's helpful for me to be around others like me - but a lot of it I let go in one ear and out the other. To me, the only universal thing needed to get sober is a desire to be sober. Out of that, AA, therapy, friends, rehab, etc, etc, etc are all options. That Facebook group sounds annoying, I wouldn't stick around for it, but remember when we were kind of thinking about sobriety but weren't ready to commit? We did the same things, most likely, only it wasn't public.

Donny :-)