View Single Post
Old 10-12-2020, 11:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Aellyce

In addition to agreeing with everyone else that you did nothing wrong, I will add that perhaps deep down, when he is alone with himself, he may recognize the truth and might actually be grateful for some of the feedback. That depends on the level and type of self-awareness one has (whether they admit it outwardly or not), but I know that I personally have been extremely grateful for any direct, honest feedback I get from people on my behavior and how I handle things. Maybe act defensively for a little while, but then think about it as openly as I can. No one enjoys confrontation, but the value in being exposed to truth can outweigh the momentary discomfort if one wants to make any improvement, even the loss of some relationships. Of course that assumes the person wants some change. That is also why I usually prefer to talk with my peer addicts in a direct manner, not sugar coating things, whether they are in recovery or not. Same about receiving feedback: purely pleasant, supportive reactions can be nice and validating but, for me, it tends to be much less useful than critical feedback and getting other perspectives (for me at least). Sometimes we also seem to deny and reject the truth in the moment, but will remember later and will be able to use the conclusions/consequences more constructively at a future time point. So please don't feel guilty for what you said - you might have done a great deal of good for him, whether he admits right now or not.