View Single Post
Old 10-11-2020, 05:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Donnylutz

For my past year of sobriety, my free will was and still is integral. It afterall, is my will to not pick up a drink, and it was my will to finally quit. I never really got the 1st step figured out. It's so different for all of us, this is just how it works in my brain I guess. I did most of my drinking at home and at work (so odd saying that now!), so I wasn't able to change most of my environment... and I've been working from home since March lol. I did stop going to bars for quite some time, though I've been going back to old haunts for brunch or dinner occasionally (would be a lot more often were it not for Covid).

I think, while we all have the same disease, what we need to get and stay sober can vary widely. No one perfect way exists.

I say, If you are sober and happy and healthy, you are doing the right thing!

I think some of our environments can be very toxic, and those certainly need to be changed. (Enabling, co-dependence, etc). My environment was bad because I was drinking. Once I stopped my environment improved dramatically. Some of us need to pick up what is left of our lives and go to the other side of the country to recover - but not all of us. I came out of treatment back into the same environment I left, and for me my environment and friends/family have become an important part of my support network.