View Single Post
Old 09-21-2020, 10:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SparkleKitty

Originally Posted by Freshstart1111 View Post
I guess my other question would be: if he knows that his life revolves around drinking and I can’t have that in my life, why does he keep coming back to me? I’ve set boundaries about talking about drinking. I know he has the utmost respect for me. I wonder if deep down he is looking for someone to be honest with him about his drinking.
Those in active addition prefer it when things don't change. He would very likely prefer if it you would both pretend you don't feel the way you feel about his drinking. He would like you to join him in pretending it isn't a problem. He has no obligation to respect your boundaries--it is up to you to maintain them.

You attribute a lot to him and how he sees you or thinks about you or feels about you, which I can understand, but which doesn't really serve you. If "deep down" he were looking for someone to be honest with him about his drinking, he already knows you will be, and he has not chosen to avail himself of that support. He could be light years away from even thinking about being willing to address his drinking. The question is really what are you going to do in the meantime.