Old 09-03-2020, 05:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Noam19

I think my main reasons and what I get out of SR are the following:

1. It's part of my workweek routine. I wake up, run, do my stuff at home, get to work, write my daily aspirations, and check in here before I start work. Making decisions like this to stay in a routine help me remind myself that i'm in control. Plus it bleeds into other parts of my life and my decision making overall gets better.
2. It helps me just have an outlet. I talk to my kids some, but don't want to burden them with thoughts and have it be a daily thing for them like it is me. Also, on this topic, my wife and I don't discuss much. I understand her view. She doesn't drink, never really has, she put up with all my b.s. and she expects me to man up and deal with it. So again, rather than continuously bombard her with my thoughts on drinking I can come here.
3. The insights I gain from other people's stories, good and bad, serve as a reinforcement. Those with good stories help provide that motivation that I'm doing the right thing and I can keep going. Those in the early days or despair of a relapse remind me of what can happen if I dont' stay vigilant. Plus it gives me an opportunity to hopefully provide a thought or sentence that might help them in some small way.