Old 08-17-2020, 10:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ant385

Originally Posted by kinethra View Post
My boyfriend and I have been together almost 3 years, living together most of it. He got sober back in January and has said recently that he feels different (about me and life) since he got out of rehab. He says that, while he loves me, he isn't sure if he has ever been "in love" with me because he doesn't remember "feeling butterflies" for me. He said he has trouble feeling anything since he got sober. He used to be very emotional and he says he doesnt get excited about anything, sad or angry. He hasn't cried since he got out of rehab.

I want to understand how to help him better and i want to know if these thoughts and feelings are normal? What can I do to help him? How can I better give him space to sort through his thoughts? He isn't a great communicator but did say he wants to go back to counseling but won't call kaiser. I'm at a total loss. I saw a thread on emotional detachment and it sounded a lot like what he is dealing with.

I need some insight, please help!
sounds like he is suffering from PAWS to me. One of the key symptoms is a feeling of numbness and lack of enjoyment in anything. Give him time to heal. He will bounce back gradually but he could be up and down for up to 2 years. It’s not you. It’s him. He needs space though.