Old 08-15-2020, 12:27 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
trailmix

Honestly, I think I'd find that very hard. My diary has certainly evolved over the years
I wanted to start to write down as well how her drinking on any night made me feel, and that certainly made me feel better as it started to better record the effect it was having on me.
Yes it's hard, but as others have mentioned, it's in your best interests to stop doing it. Kind of like stopping drinking is in her best interests - but again, that's up to her (and also really hard!). Writing about your own feelings, well that's different and probably helpful to you.

My take on the alcohol tracker is that you can write it down and then it goes away, it's tucked away in your journal until the next entry. Kind of like when you have a list of important things to do and you write it down on your to-do list and then can come back to it later. It is a control mechanism as well, of course.

You didn't Cause it, can't Control it and can't Cure it (the 3 c's).

None of this is easy and I am sorry you find yourself in this situation. Perhaps it's time to break free from it or at least loosen your grip on the rope. Your documenting, kind words, suggestions are doing nothing to solve this, for you or your children (or in fact your wife). She will quit drinking when she is ready and not a moment before. The only thing you can do for yourself is distance yourself, so you can save your sanity.

Right now alcohol is running your household and your life, I know you don't want it running your life so maybe time to hop off that crazy train?

It can be hard to detach, especially when you are thrown a few kind "normal" crumbs periodically. You might find this sticky thread (found at the top of this forum), helpful:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-recovery.html (Letting go of those not in recovery)