Thread: shame
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2020, 10:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sober45

I did that, too. I work in a professional setting and didn't buy clothes for years. I also stopped wearing make-up and dying my hair. But how could I? I was completely and utterly exhausted from trying to maintain my drinking career. Being sober is so much easier....it just takes time to get the hang of it. To be honest, I'll be 46 in a few weeks but lately I've been feeling like a teenager again. I believe this is possible for you.

Self sabotage? I never thought about it like that but yes, makes sense. For me, I would self sabotage by drinking to avoid having to face the truth. I had to face up to a lot of things including how my behavior affected my now 18 year old daughter. A lot of damage was done but we are recovering together. She is no longer a hindrance to my drinking...she's my light.

Another thing that happens after a few sober days is rationalizing moderation of our intake. We feel left out and like we deserve to have it because everyone else is. Heck, drinking is the cultural expectation just about everywhere now. We just want to be normal. I really had to dig in on this line of thinking and change it around. Drinking a toxic substance is not normal...period.