Thread: broken record
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 03:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fusion

Originally Posted by hummingbird358 View Post
Scared of his thoughts of what his mind is telling him. Realizes it is the addiction talking. Realizes the addition is causing his relationships to fall apart, etc.

Anyone in recovery here and if so how did you get passed the thoughts the addiction is putting in his head? The fears?
Hummingbird, your son's realisations above, may be a sign of hope. I was addicted to alcohol. I joined SR in 2016, after 20 years of daily drinking. I'd tried recovery groups and other methods, yet failed to gain sobriety. As a result of posting on SR and engaging with the members, reading more addiction material, videos, neuroscience articles etc., I stopped drinking for two and a half years.

I drank again last year, by failing to recognise my AV, the voice of my addiction, promising that I was able to drink for a couple of days, to drown my sorrow following tumultuous events., then stop. My AV lied. I returned to SR last year, really struggling to gain an alcohol-free day. I desperately wanted to regain the content sobriety I'd enjoyed, but I felt a complete lack of hope. Once again, the SR members gave me hope. I regained sobriety and I have vowed to myself, That I will never listen to the AVs lies again, and thereby ,I shall remain sober.