View Single Post
Old 07-25-2020, 06:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
uncle holmes

Jeez that's a tough one! Mainly cause you care for the guy! I was similar to this guy! He obviously has some good points too or you wouldn't care for him! For some strange reason, many alcoholic men seem to choose the finest women! I was that guy who was relapsing and in and out of AA while engaged to a very fine woman! I would have moments where I would make the same statements! "You deserve better"!

I even got a DUI two weeks before our wedding date! I just assumed it was over and asked her if we should just call it off! She stood by me and wanted to go through with it! Then on our honeymoon I started off as this sweetie pie before I opened the fridge in our hotel room and saw that it was stocked with beer and booze! I got real grumpy all of a sudden when she just said, "go ahead!" "I know that's what you want to do!" So I got drunk, went on a binge, and she had to go out looking for me while I was walking around the streets going through party stores and getting drunk! I then went to an AA meeting on the honeymoon to try and straighten up!

When we got back home I went through my third treatment center! Luckily for me and us I've now been sober for 28 years! We have two fine sons who are now in their 20's! Overall we have a pretty good marriage! We rarely fight!

Here's what I would do if I were you! Dumping him right away is one option and not necessarily a bad one! The other option is staying on him to get help with his drinking through either AA or a treatment center! Tell him that's the only way it will work between you two! Tell him that alcoholism can be beaten and there are many alcoholics who are staying sober successfully! If he refuses then tell him it's not going to work! Give him some time to think about it! Maybe two weeks! Give him one more call by saying this is his last chance or it's over! Get help or it's final! It's over! Tell him that you can't go on caring for him if he's not going to get help for his drinking! If he still makes up excuses or refuses then you've got to let him go!

Miracles do happen! There are many alcoholics who seemed so hopeless at one point (me included) who have gotten sobriety and are doing well in their lives! If it doesn't work then at least you can cut ties knowing you tried everything you could and can go on with a peace of mind!