View Single Post
Old 07-20-2020, 05:29 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Coz

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Wow Coz. ❤️

I hear you and I understand.

Menial jabber....I have zero tolerance. I do not engage in it ever I am afraid.
Why can't social conversation also be intellectual?
It is in my house. Granted there are only two of us, but oy if you could hear some of the breakfast conversation.

I don't do social chatter at all....part of the way I was raised. Even this morning when I caught up with my sister we never do that.
Important stuff exchanged and we are done. Catch you later.

My ankle was really good yesterday and not so good today. I am betting on tomorrow being an excellent ankle day. xx s ❤️

PS....Why is it called 'small talk'. For a good reason. It is about putting words out there when no one has anything valuable to say. So do we need it? And do we have to be skilled at it? NO. No way. )
Thanks again Suze - I can so relate to your words.

But, and unfortunately, there seems to be a need to be able to converse with others from time to time. And it's hard if they are 'strangers' (which is most times for me being fairly new to this town).

Using my weekend example, we had an invited guest and a need to have some level of dialogue. Usual thing is to talk on topics with a shared interest - in this case hubby's work. Unfortunately this included lots of chat about drinking as that is how most of the workers spend their out of work time (and sometimes in work time), and construction techniques and machinery. All a bit dull for me as not in my shared interest zone. So choice is to sit in silence, or try to participate in some way. Eventually the work talk is getting dull for the lads to and there becomes this eerie silence.

I find this uncomfortable, but limited shared interests and am very conscious of not over using the words 'I' or 'my' in conversations (one of the dislikes I have in talking with my mother). So what to talk about? As a 'lists' person (if you haven't yet gathered, I have a list for just about everything!), my go to's are to ask:
  • Where they have travelled to see if it can spark mutual interest and interesting conversation
  • How did they get into the work they are in or interest that they have (mostly to hand over the talking to them and relieve me of having to)
  • Their family for the same reason as above
  • And if all else fails, the weather.
I need to expand my list so I have a better set of conversation starters so that it doesn't turn into mindless jabber.

Ideas from all appreciated!