View Single Post
Old 07-14-2020, 07:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober45

You have come to the right place. Keep reading and posting.

I have dual addiction: cannabis and alcohol. My DOC was Cannabis PLUS alcohol. To be fair, my cannabis use has been validated by a psychiatrist (I have rx). I don't take any other medications.

Now that I've been sober from alcohol for six months, I'm starting to question the weed. It will be gone too, eventually. But I'm giving myself 1 year of sobriety before I make any more changes.

I think the first step to becoming sober is "questioning" and you are certainly doing that.

Build up your toolbox. We need a plan for exactly what we will do with our drinking time. For me, I:

-stayed on SR constantly. For the first couple months, it was all I did. I call it my "brainwashing" period.
-Did not let myself think about alcohol in a gratifying way. When alcohol seemed feasible, I immediately switched my thoughts to a very bad time with alcohol. Whenever I bring up the image, it's a stark reminder of how lucky I am to be sober and alive right now.
-Opened my mind to the TRUTH about alcohol. I spent time looking at society, our health care system, and the impact alcohol is having on them. Who gains by me drinking?...someone's getting rich and it ain't me!

I have the most precious gift now....clarity. It takes time but it does come.

Best wishes on your recovery