View Single Post
Old 06-19-2020, 11:24 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
schnappi99

Our local Alanon meetings are zoom, some churches are only now talking about opening up in a limited way. We will be online for a while yet I think. The telephone meetings are different than the usual local meetings now on zoom, I know a few people who use them. Sometimes the telephone meetings can be very large, which might or might not be attractive to you. I would expect their zoom (or other videoconference) list will be incomplete, our local meetings moved pretty much en-mass to zoom and we published the lists among each other. Our zoom meetings are about the same size as the in-person forms before the pandemic, but each meeting is a little different- the recommendation is to try a bunch, see which you like. There is no need to identify yourself or turn on video, but all are welcome to do both. There are a few people in my homegroup that call in via zoom from their car because thats the only privacy and escape from the addict that they have.

One of my most treasured experiences was listening to a panel of alateens in an Alanon conference talking about what it was like growing up in a house w/ addiction and no recovery, and how things have changed in recovery- in many cases their addicted parent is still using. Its an especially scary and painful situation for the kids to be in; powerless and hearing the parents fight and argue downstairs again and again- the kids see it ALL no matter how well you think you may have kept them from it. The addiction happened in their faces, so must the recovery.

The alanon organization operates Alateen. In my area, some alateen meetings take place in schools- which is a very delicate arrangement. Some kids have no other place to talk about these things safely.