View Single Post
Old 06-12-2020, 08:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
biminiblue

Resurgence, not one of us come to sobriety on a winning streak. Part of the reason I drank was to blot out or escape my reality. I could type out a few pages of how awful I thought things were in my life when I quit - but they really were manageable with some sober time.

Thursday - we called it "Friday Junior" - I agree it is when the grind of the workweek can start to get heavy. Friday drinking/drinking for the weekend is just how I started in my early drinking. Then Thursday, a "get-ready" drinking day. No one needs to be completely right on Friday, so drinking on Thursday is good!

Wednesday is hump day. That's a good reason to have a drink.

Monday. I hate Monday. Still hungover. A drink will make that better.

Tuesday. Well, maybe just one.

You know the drill.

No day is a good day to drink for me, and every day still wasn't enough.

Thing about the speedy emotions and the anxiety in early sobriety - they do die down, but every time you go back to drinking you have to go through that awful part again. White knuckling through the first week or so is completely normal. It's super uncomfortable. It will get better.

Maybe do a little reading about Mindfulness. Watch what you allow to stick around in your head. I am very careful about what I let my crazy brain dredge up and spin. It takes some practice, but don't torture yourself with your own thoughts.

Here's a great read from the sticky threads in "Anxiety."

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...anagement.html (Emotional Memory Management)