View Single Post
Old 06-06-2020, 12:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Kaily

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
I once saw a counsellor and when I told her I hadn't had a drink for a week she told me that this was dangerous, that I shouldn't have stopped drinking suddenly and she then told me to go and but some alcohol when my counselling session was over! I even told her that I felt fine and that I wasn't having any withdrawal symptoms but she wasn't having any of it.
I had many similar experiences to this. Week after week for over a year I would turn up to these sessions, drinking diary in hand (even though I was a all day daily drinker) and kept being told to just cut down but don't stop. Then I was put on a preparation for detox course 3 times! But they said they wouldn't help me detox because I live on my own and it was too dangerous. On and on it went, ridiculous when I look back but I was beyond desperate and at the time it was I thought my only hope. I was told if I kept attending I would get into rehab but it never happened. Total waste of time and broken promises.

My drinking then got even worse so I could no longer attend as was never sober enough. I'm sober now with the help of SR and as I like to say the stars aligned. Long may it continue.