View Single Post
Old 06-05-2020, 07:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
uncle holmes

Originally Posted by feldknocker View Post
Thank you for this post. Politics was brought into an AA meeting I attended last night. It was my home group of all things. The topic leader made a "topic" that was entirely political and inappropriate for an AA meeting. The good news about my group is that people did an excellent job of commenting about recovery and living in today - while not getting into the same political discussion as the topic leader. It made me so appreciative of our traditions. That's one of the things that keeps me coming back. I'm glad the same spirit exists here. To me, recovery is a place to go to get away from all of that - even if for a short while.
Thanks! I learned this lesson back in the 90’s and made sure I never did it again! It was during the OJ trial and before the meeting a group of us were sitting at a table! It was kind of quiet so I figured I’d strike up a conversation and brought up the OJ trial! A member there who I looked up to and admired for his long term sobriety and wisdom interrupted me and said please don’t talk about that here because he comes here to get away from all that!

I apologized and learned a valuable lesson! Still new in recovery at the time, I didn’t realize that’s why many people go to meetings - to get away from all that insanity out there and to focus on their recovery and serenity! And I learned from that experience maybe that’s what I should be doing - going to meetings to calm the brain down and focus on recovery! And out of respect for others and for myself I make sure I do that!