Thread: I messed up
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 09:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Maddoc78

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Maddoc----breakups are hard---but, you are making it harder than it has to be. This means that I will be repeating myself, but, I will do it again.
You are making it harder to stay away by the following things, I think-----triggering bonding hormones by the horizonal tango/intermittent reinforcement (the most powerful kind00google it)/and drinking alcohol which lowers ones inhibitions.
Horizonal Tango----causes the release of oxytocin----the powerful hormones that causes even mothers to bond with their newborn.
And, the wonderful doopamine----the neurotransmitter that causes to seek and repeat pleasurable actions. It acts, mostly on the pleasure centers in the midbrain. It causes us to seek food and entertainment or just about anything that gives us pleasure. Especially food and sex! Same, with drugs like cocaine, etc. It is very active in all addictions. including alcoholism.
Every tune you interact with him, that is intermittent reinforcement, after you have blocked him. You can google it---as it is the most powerful kind of reinforcement.
Drinking with him-----the alcohol releases your inhibitions, and you will be more likely to do things that your sober self wouldn't do. Like slapping his hand. Or having sex when you wouldn't usually. This is because the alcohol interfere with the frontal lobe of your brain---where the executive functions reside---reasoning, judgement, planning, etc.

All of these factors, added together, are setting you up for the kind of evening that you just described.
I am glad that you are seeing the counselor, because there are, as you say, dynamics of why you are attracted to this guy. the list of potential factors is, likely, quite long-----
You might want to read the long post that Velma wrote to Ituvia this morning, about relationships....it is quite good.
I will, also, be looking for another song to dedicate to you.
thanks...yes, I was weak and reconnected after a stressful incident with my estranged husband and two glasses of wine. Def not a good idea

Ots probably messed up but what hurts the most is the accusation of cheating...& it was just such a crude way...I have only slept with three partners in my life and for him to just completely call me a liar about sometime that, it breaks my heart more than his drinking or mind games. I also do recognize it for what it is—-deflection. I found those balled up jeans and panties after we had been part a week and told him “ok fine you slept with someone. Jut admit it and tell me who” and he denied denied denied. Now he is saying the same to me...