View Single Post
Old 05-03-2020, 10:54 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
EndGameNYC
EndGame

I know some people who wear two or three surgical masks at a time. Or one or two surgical masks on top of more substantial protection.

It's hit and miss in my neighborhood for buying masks. Most of the stores that remain open seem not to have had things like over-the-counter Lysol, Purell, or prescription sunlight for weeks. And most of those stores require a minimum of wearing a mask in order to go inside. Things like that can make people feel safer than otherwise.

There are three challenging parks in my neighborhood. All of them require hiking uphill; there are cliffs and hills that overlook the Hudson River and New Jersey on the other side of the Hudson in each one. The geography here is much different than that of the rest of Manhattan. It feels like a real neighborhood to me. It has more than one bodega. With a cat. My minimum requirement for qualifying as a neighborhood (with or without the cat).

I live right across the street from Fort Tryon Park, home of the Cloisters. It also has beautiful views, especially for a city-dweller. I walk my neighbor's dog through the park every night. I spent most of my afternoon there on Saturday. The sun felt good. People seemed to be enjoying themselves.

I went to a different park today, more than a half-mile away from the Cloisters. Isham Park. You can ascend up to different levels or plateaus, each of which is very flat. It’s manicured and landscaped on each level. The outer limits of this park are the Hudson River, Broadway, and two residential neighborhoods. It’s a little bit freaky to me. People were wearing masks and maintaining a safe distance. The park generates a lot more sound than usual with a roughly equal number of people who were in the park today.

I’ve been to the remaining park before, Inwood Hills Park, but not recently. It isn’t well developed (which gives it a cool vibe) and has a lot of space that’s taken up by boulders and hills and a seemingly infinite number of paths. It’s very easy to get lost in the park, especially after sunset. It was dusk the last time I was there, and I don’t recall there being any lighting.

It’s important for me to get outside. I’ve rarely spent any significant time inside on the weekends. But being stir-crazy, having cabin fever, or just hating people and things because people spend so much time inside will not make COVID-19 disappear.