View Single Post
Old 04-15-2020, 07:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
MLD51
Giving up is NOT an option.

When I look back and think about all the times I ran into people out and about or had conversations with people when I was drinking, I do cringe a little. I wonder if they noticed? If they could smell it? If they judged me? If they saw a "me" that wasn't really me, and made decisions about me based on that? The answer to all of those questions is "maybe." I have talked to a very few people since I quit who said they did notice, but mostly because they already knew I was drinking too much, and mostly, they were worried about me. Not disgusted or judging harshly. The rest, I doubt they noticed, or if they did, they probably didn't care. I was WAY harder on myself than other people ever were. Because I KNEW I was acting in a way that didn't mesh with who I wanted to be.

Bottom line is: you will eventually feel less shame. Especially if you can be somewhat objective and realize that you were only acting a certain way because of the alcohol, and that you can forgive yourself for that. If you stay sober, you can begin to be your true self. And people will see the real you, not someone under that influence. The shame does go away (mostly) with time.