View Single Post
Old 03-13-2020, 12:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Tetrax

Originally Posted by Charon View Post
I really have many problems with AA. One of them is labeling myself as an alcoholic. That is not the totality of who I am, it's denigrating, it's a put down, and it's negative and unhelpful. It serves only to keep one down and more likely to fail.

I do not introduce myself as "Hi, I'm Charon, I'm a woodworker" or "I'm an orchid grower". Those are also things I do not who I am.

Drinking alcohol isn't me. It's a behavior. I can choose to continue that behavior. Or I can choose to stop that behavior. Contrary to AA, I am not powerless. It's my choice to take the first drink. If I do, I have to own what happens next. I can also choose to not take the first drink, as well.

I have made that decision and continue to make it every day. To help maintain my resolve I use the SMART tools. They are positive, empowering, and scientifically vetted.
I think it's a case of different strokes for different folks. I can very much relate to both programmes.

But yeah as to forgetting, I had like a ten minute bout of anxiety yesterday and that was all it took to remind me why I was sober. For once I was grateful for anxiety 'cause it reminded me of what living in active addiction is like an awful lot of the time.

And to reference AA, for me certainly my anxiety - a big part of my life - had become unmanageable.