Old 03-12-2020, 03:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Cosima11

I unfortunately still work in a drinking environment and sometimes (often, if I'm honest) flirting comes with the territory. I think it was actually beneficial in the beginning, learning that I could still be seen as attractive, flirtatious, etc. in that context while completely sober. It revealed and broke down a lot of my illusions surrounding that. After a while of course it just gets old, not to mention can feel pretty artificial/inauthentic. If you hit it off with someone and the chemistry isn't just based around drinking, there are plenty of other things to do and places to be.

But mostly I've passed up all opportunities to date since quitting because I've been hung up on a specific person. Still can't say whether it's been the "right" course of action, but I've had my reasons. No longer running from myself and the messes I've made or the patterns I've ignored, has been the main one.

I also can't downplay the fact that long term sobriety required significant short term sacrifices.. sometimes extreme social isolation being one of them. I could go in depth about the extent of the misery that came with that, but just know you're not the only one and it does get easier. The things I feel comfortable doing now in social settings could and would have been putting myself at serous risk earlier on.

I've found the cliches about finding yourself and your own interests/passions and how the rest will follow.. are mostly true. If I'm not healthy enough to to be with the person of my dreams, how can I expect that relationship to "manifest itself" so to speak.