View Single Post
Old 03-11-2020, 09:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sohard

Originally Posted by freshout View Post

I'm romanticizing alcohol, I know, plucking a few fun memories out of a sea of bad, but the feeling (not the idea) that drinking again would be fine is weighing me down. And my mind won't stop talking to me. It's all like "don't be stupid, it's just a drink, nothing's stopping you from simply ordering a beer, everyone's doing it, why are you so uncompromising? so strict? does it really have to be so black and white?".
Oh my gosh, my mind has said the same exact thing to me in the past. Basically shaming me for being such a dunce for making such a big deal about everything and not just having a drink like everybody else. Because, what’s the big deal, right? I would have myself convinced that I really just made this whole addiction thing up in my head.

I can promise you, that lying voice from your mind, the one you really do know is lying or you wouldn’t have intelligently come here, starts to shut up after a while. At 10+ months, I rarely hear it now. So, my advice is just ignore it. Of course, I know that’s much easier said than done. Someone once said to me if I wanted to drink after 100 days, I could, but just to promise myself to get to there bc things would get easier. They were so right. So if it helps, tell yourself that you’ll knock off all the nuttiness at day 100 and could have a beer then. But I bet at 100 days you will realize there’s no way you want to go back to that. :-) I know different things work for different people. But for me, it just helped to have a 100 day goal post, at which point my mind was much quieted down and I could stretch the goal post to a lifetime.