Thread: Entertaining.
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 10:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Lucinda2

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
When I had a little sober time, there was still no way I could go into a liquor store or have a friend drink in my place. That took years.
I think you're putting too much emphasis on what others will think about you having a dry home or that you're not drinking.
I was pleasantly surprised when I just flat out told people I quit drinking.
Anyone who new me knew I was a heavy drinker, too.
Their reaction was like, "Oh". How's so and so?
Believe it or not other people's lives don't revolve around how much we drink.

Try not to worry about what might happen. I think you're on the right track, though.
Get comfortable in your own skin about not drinking before you have a party or announce to the world you're sober would be my advice.
I hope you are pleasantly surprised
Thanks, Ghostlight1. Your post puts it in perspective for me that it is still early days. Pretty much everyone knows that I am not drinking now so that is cool but what they don't know is what a big thing this has been for me. You are right this is a bigger deal in my head than anyone else's, although some of my closer friends definitely took a while to adapt to the change in our relationships. But the wider world not so bothered. Up until around 10 years ago, I wasn't really a drinker myself and never really thought anything about it, so your post has made me stop and think about this. It wasn't a big deal in my head then, so you are right - I am overthinking it.