Thread: Failing
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 09:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by wordtank
My first step, I guess, was to realize that there IS enjoyment in life to be had without booze. I realized that. But I still believe that there is enjoyment to be had WITH it. I've had my share of booze related problems (the two DUIs), but I don't forsee any of THOSE problems any more (famous last words?).
That was my thinking too, Tank, for the last five years of my drinking. I never did the DUI thing, only because of blind luck really. To this day, I can't think of what might have happened; what amount of grief I might have caused... For all intents, I might as well have driven with a blindfold some of those days and nights...

Anyway, there is indeed joy to be had in life when not drinking.
Took a long time to accept that. I kept trying to temper my joy with controlled drinking. Thought I was good at it too, for a couple years anyway.
In the end though, the following pattern became clearer; everytime I would have a moment of pause, much like you seem to be doing here, it inevitably was because I had reached a new level of feeling like I had been run over by a locomotive. I didn't notice it at the time, but yeah, there definitely was a progression happening.

Good to see you again, Tank.