View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
murrill

Originally Posted by HeadEast View Post
Rage can be a symptom of the hypomania state. So can irritability. One of the symptoms I had during hypomania is irresponsible spending. That one is actually fairly common. I like the statement you made that says "mood fluctuations are tiring". They are!!

I'm a 61 yo male that has suffered depression off and on my entire life. Mostly off and it was easily controlled by medication. I was diagnosed as being type II bipolar a year ago in January, and no medication seemed to work. I went into a downhill slide into severe depression. I had many of the common symptoms of BP II severe depression. I couldn't read books or magazines. (This one is fairly common). I was having occasional cognitive difficulties. (This one can become permanent). I was having significant memory loss. I was having significant sleep issues, often getting only 2 to 4 hours of sleep every night. That was with Ambien or any of the other sleep meds we tried.

Then during the last weekend of December, one week before scheduled ECT treatments, I came out of the depression. I was totally out of it. My psychiatrist has no idea why. Maybe the Lamictal kicked in. Maybe there was some sort of reaction between the Lamictal and Ritalin.

This stuff is horrible. Don't be afraid to talk to your doctor if you feel meds aren't working or something isn't going right. I always take in a list when I see my psychiatrist so I don't forget to talk about something.

There is a lot of information on the internet about BP. I like this article because it talks about how to not neglect other aspects of your healthcare and how to prevent premature death associated with bipolar.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0202103023.htm
HeadEast,
Thanks for your reply. The link to the article was enlightening, if disturbing. I can attest to the heightened sympathetic nervous system.
I also was treated for unipolar depression off/on for most of my life until a very good therapist suggested taking a look at bipolar. She and my psychiatrist, to their credit, were willing to take a look at it.
Irritability is kind of my trademark. People have always remarked on my intermittent moods--"Sometimes I just don't know who you are."--and I can recall heightened emotions, even euphoria. I have overspent in my life, but for some reason--old age maybe, since I also am 61--I have been very much in control of my money. That's good since I do not have too much!
I was initially treated with Buspar & Wellbutrin, but that was when I was dx with depression and anxiety. The depression was unrelenting, and my doctor finally added Latuda. It made a world of difference, although my early response was hypomania. We have adjusted the dose as well as that of Wellbutrin. Apparently, during bipolar cases when irritability persists, the anti-depressant has to be reduced. I still have episodes, though.
Thanks again for reaching out. It has been helpful.