View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 07:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Brave

5 years since I posted last....

Hi everyone,
Today, for some reason, I was thinking about this forum and how much it really helped me when I needed advice, an ear, a shoulder to cry on, and honest advice from people who'd stood where I was.

I first posted about 6 years ago, off and on for a year. I was struggling with whether or not to leave my alcoholic, angry, and sometimes abusive ex-husband. I went back today and reread all of those posts I made, and every single reply. I cried....not because I was reliving the sadness of those days. I cried because I dont even recognize that sad, lost, desperate person anymore. And I cried again because i was so touched looking back at all the people who were trying to help me, reaching out with support, love, jokes and hard knocks, when I needed them.

This past October, almost exactly 5 years after my divorce, I remarried to a wonderful man. He is kind, funny, hardworking, and loves me more than I ever could deserve. We have disagreements like any couple, and I've never felt a moment of fear with him. It's freeing to go out, and have fun, not be secretly counting his drinks, or worrying about what might happen. I'm still learning how to be open with my feelings, and hes very patient with me. Hes also a wonderful father to my two new teenage stepsons (who I also love dearly). He'd maybe like to have another child, I'm still on the fence, but we're building a house in spring, so we can revisit after that.

Anyway, I couldn't have imagined this future for myself. But, looking back, I remember how trapped and hopeless I felt. And I guess I just wanted to pop back in and thank everyone (if anyone is still on here from that time). And just say that...life can go on. And it'lll be hard, and sad, and frustrating...but then at some point, you come out the other side. And you can heal. And life can turn out pretty great.

Much love to all of you.