5 years since I posted last....

Old 01-23-2020, 07:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 years since I posted last....

Hi everyone,
Today, for some reason, I was thinking about this forum and how much it really helped me when I needed advice, an ear, a shoulder to cry on, and honest advice from people who'd stood where I was.

I first posted about 6 years ago, off and on for a year. I was struggling with whether or not to leave my alcoholic, angry, and sometimes abusive ex-husband. I went back today and reread all of those posts I made, and every single reply. I cried....not because I was reliving the sadness of those days. I cried because I dont even recognize that sad, lost, desperate person anymore. And I cried again because i was so touched looking back at all the people who were trying to help me, reaching out with support, love, jokes and hard knocks, when I needed them.

This past October, almost exactly 5 years after my divorce, I remarried to a wonderful man. He is kind, funny, hardworking, and loves me more than I ever could deserve. We have disagreements like any couple, and I've never felt a moment of fear with him. It's freeing to go out, and have fun, not be secretly counting his drinks, or worrying about what might happen. I'm still learning how to be open with my feelings, and hes very patient with me. Hes also a wonderful father to my two new teenage stepsons (who I also love dearly). He'd maybe like to have another child, I'm still on the fence, but we're building a house in spring, so we can revisit after that.

Anyway, I couldn't have imagined this future for myself. But, looking back, I remember how trapped and hopeless I felt. And I guess I just wanted to pop back in and thank everyone (if anyone is still on here from that time). And just say that...life can go on. And it'lll be hard, and sad, and frustrating...but then at some point, you come out the other side. And you can heal. And life can turn out pretty great.

Much love to all of you.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Thank you for coming back and giving us an update. I am thrilled that you have found a life that you love. It is no more than you deserve. You do deserve this wonderful man's love.

Big hugs to you!
Old 01-23-2020, 09:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh Wow. That is a wonderful story. Thanks so much for coming back and posting.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Brave.....I DO remember you! I am so proud of you and happy for you.
There are people, here, tonight, who are feeling the way that you were feeling 6yrs. ago......and, your story may give them evidence and hope that they can find happiness on the "other side" of their challenges....
Thanks a bunch!

Remember that you can STILl hang around and share much of your well earned wisdom and experience...….
Old 01-23-2020, 10:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

“There are people, here, tonight, who are feeling the way that you were feeling 6yrs. ago......and, your story may give them evidence and hope that they can find happiness on the "other side" of their challenges....
Thanks a bunch!”

This would be me! I second this, thank you so much for posting an update. It gives me hope
Old 01-23-2020, 10:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Brave .

This is such a wonderful post and gives so much hope to newbies thinking they will never kick the booze.

You just showed it came be done and we can be really happy & finally get the life we do deserve.

Just loved it.

I'm so thrilled for you and your happy new life.

Thanks so much for posting xx
Old 01-23-2020, 11:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Love this post Thankyou for coming back. So happy for you too and it’s wonderful that you have found such a lovely man! Xxx
Old 01-24-2020, 05:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting Brave & so happy you have found love in a nurturing,
healthy relationship that you do indeed deserve!
Old 01-24-2020, 07:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Exactly what I needed to hear today! Thanks Brave for sharing and I am happy that you have found peace and happiness
Old 01-24-2020, 07:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for taking the time to come back and post brave. It is so inspiring to read stories like yours. Messages of hope from the other side.
we can all get there, one day at a time.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for confirming that things can change for the better. I needed that.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Brave!!!
Success stories like yours warm my heart.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Brave.....I DO remember you! I am so proud of you and happy for you.
There are people, here, tonight, who are feeling the way that you were feeling 6yrs. ago......and, your story may give them evidence and hope that they can find happiness on the "other side" of their challenges....
Thanks a bunch!

Remember that you can STILl hang around and share much of your well earned wisdom and experience...….
Dandylion, I remember you so well too! Thank you for all the wonderful advice, and time you spent writing to me. I appreciate it more than you could ever know. I'll try to stick around. This forum reminds me of a dark time in my life. I want to make it through that trigger, though, so I can maybe help other people too, the way you helped me.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say thanks for replying, everyone! Whatever your current situations, wishing you all peace, clarity, progress and hope. ❤