View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 08:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jr67

The Big P is a monkey on my back

Good morning/afternoon/evening/night, ladies and gentlemen, fellow SobeRlanders.

Thank you for attending to my story, a common tale but true.

Ahem.

My SR name is jr67, and I suffer from The Big P.

For as long as I can remember, my progress down the highways and labyrinthine byways of life has been impeded by The Big P, Procrastination, depriving me of:

-- potential prosperity (professional, financial, interpersonal);

-- potential progress (intellectual, physical, metaphysical);

-- potential energy (the kinetic variety, too); plus

-- potentially more.

I believe in the chicken and the egg, and the egg and the chicken, but sometimes I don't know which comes first.

Do (did) I abuse substances because I cannot face my failures, confront my demons? Or do I fall short, fail to follow through, fall though the cracks, disappear into the woodwork, because I am (was) drunk, high, hung over, over and over again?

No doubt sometimes it is the chicken, and sometimes the egg, and sometimes it is difficult to tell them apart.

Have you ever been stuck among these cunning conundra, these hydra-headed beasts?

Have you ever found a way out? A way to turn yourself around? A way to slay the dragon?

Have you ever found The Way? Have you grasped it, won it, only to lose it again? And then what happened?

I am wondering, fellow passengers, as we travel on this journey of sobriety together, whether any of you care to share your stories of shoulda, coulda, and woulda; or your strategies for successfully negotiating these tortuous paths, perhaps illuminating a way ahead for those of us still stuck in first gear, or stalling.

If so, SR is open 24/7.

Again, thank you for listening. I look forward to joining those of you who choose to join the discussion to follow.

The management cordially invites all of you to contribute or observe.