View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Hi S's Mom:

You are doing the right thing!!!!

Here's what my mother did to me........

In January of 1979 when I was 33 1/2 years old my mother told me in no uncertain terms that I was no longer welcome in their home. That if I came to the door it would be closed in my face (and it was) and that if I called on the phone they would hang up on me (and they did) that I was going to have to figure out how to fix MY PROBLEM.

Well needless to say I was royally "pi**ed" lol. And nothing changed in my life for some time. It was not until June of 1981 2 1/2 years later that I finally got sober, and yes I ended up living the streets.

You did exactly what you needed to do for YOU. And, it may finally start to bring her to her senses when she fully realizes that Mommy won't "rescue" her any more.

In my opinion you did the right thing!!! I know it worked for this alkie. I have over 24 years of sobriety now, and over 21 years in Alanon.

You have set your boundaries. Good for you.

Please keep posting, and others will be along to share their experience, strength and hope with you. There are many others on these boards that have been where you are now.

I know its not easy, it never is, and the disease of addiction affects more than just the person who has it. It is truly a FAMILY DISEASE, and there does come a time when a person does say ENOUGH. You have done that. Wow, what strength.

By the way, in later years when my Mom and I talked and I mean really talked, she told me how hard it was for her to do that, but she just could not handle me any more in my drunken dope induced states, as I was pushing her toward a mental hospital and she did the ony thing she could do. I thanked her, because I truly believe that her actions were the final push to set me toward recovery.

JMHO.

Love and (((((to all))))),