Thread: Another update
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 07:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sleepyhollo

I think feeling nothing is normal. My ex quit several times and I always felt something. The last year couple,of years before he finally really got sober were not fun for me and I detached more and more. Then I hit my rock bottom and confronted him and gave him an ultimatum. I wanted to give him one more chance. He apparently at that point was ready to quit just needed that finally kick in the butt. And I was serious about giving him one last chance but I didn’t not realize that I was done. I was so detached and emotionally I had just had it. I never recovered from that and we ended up divorcing 2 years after he went to rehab. He is still clean luckily as w have a kid but I still do t regret not being married to him anymore.
I think when you go through this multiple times you just get numb as you know how it will end up. And detox is useless unless he follows with some sort of actual rehab whether it is inpatient, intensive outpatient, lots of AA meetings, individual counseling etc. It has to come from him. Detox is only to get people sober safely. I hope he is serious about wanting to get help but I can’t help but feel that he screwed up and is trying to make up for that, at least short term until he ropes you back in with his promises. Without getting professional help he is unlikely to stay clean and it will only be a matter of time before he drinks again.
Are you getting help for yourself? Counseling, Alanon? I felt bad that I was so cold to my ex as well but honestly, with all the crap I put up with over the years it really isn’t a surprise. We can only put up with so much